LINK OF UKIYOE
The Theatre Museum, dedicated to the memory of Dr.Tsubouchi Shoyo, is devoted entirely to the study of the history of drama. Within its walls are to be found materials relating not only to the theatre arts of Japan, but to those of other countries, of East and West, as well.
Professor Tsubouchi, who associated with Waseda University for more than forty years, had long cherished the hope of building on its campus a museum dedicated to the theatre arts. This dream became a reality when former students, friends and admirers planned the Tsuobouchi Memorial Theatre Museum in recognition of his many achievements. The institution was formally opened on 27 October, 1928, the year he celebrated his seventh birthday.
In Japan there is an abundance of materials and literature related to the Japanese dramatic arts, the history of which covers a period of more than one thousand years; moreover, Japan possesses in Kabuki dramatic forms unique in the history of the world theatre. It would, therefore, not be at all strange if the Museum specialized only in the Japanese theatre. However, Dr. Tsubouchi's conception of a theatre museum was something far broader and more comprehensive. He envisioned such a museum as a storehouse of literature, prints and other objects related to drama and theatre arts gathered from all parts of the world.
It is said tabacco was introduced into Japan in the Middle of the 16th Century, and smoking customs were adopted by the populace, until the present day. The production of salt in Japan has a long history of difficult and patient work. The Museum, exhibits cultural and industrial aspects of tobacco and salt by showing the cultural inheritance and a collection of folk materials, was originally established for the purpose of enlightning the public about tabacco and salt.
Ukiyo-e woodblock prints provided the people of Japan's Edo period (1603-1867) with a huge amount of mundane, but highly valued, visual information through the medium of woodblock prints. The favorite kabuki actors, the lovely women of the pleasure quarters, and the sumo wrestlers of the day all featured in these prints, along with the famous scenery of Japan's urban and natural sites. These prints were enjoyed by the people of the day on an ordinary, everyday basis. This museum introduces works from among the 8,000 or so ukiyo-e woodblock prints in the collections of Nagoya TV, Inc. with the hope that the viewer will come to appreciate these works just as the people of the Edo period enjoyed them. Nagoya TV is a broadcasting network serving the Tokai region of Japan, and we seek to provide a people's media in the mass media of today, fulfilling the same role that woodblock prints provided in the mini media of the Edo period
Kanagawa Prefectual Museum of Cultural History, the profound building of a round dome, one of the western style construction representing Meiji era. The building which built in 1904, as the head office of the Yokohama specie bank. In 1967, it was specified as the important cultural property as a precious building of the Meiji era.
By permanent exhibition, there are the Kamakura era when the first samurai lord monarchy, the opening of a country and westernization, etc. In addition, the collection exhibition, collection data (ukiyoe etc) is also held several times per year. The history of main Kanagawa of history of Japan is intelligibly exhibited by dividing into five from ancient times to the present age. Moreover, there is also a museum library for studying history, culture, and a hometown more widely.
The average citizen's mood of Edo period (1603 - 1867) was an extremely buoyant and joyful one --- not the transitory, heavy atmosphere characteristic of the troubled middle age. The word "ukiyo-e" means "the picture of buoyant world" and incorporates in its meaning the common man's daily pleasures, such as Kabuki plays, Geisha houses, and so on. The forerunner of Edo period prints were simple drawings that gradually developed into a wood-block, thus satisfying the growth of the demand.
The Sumo Museum was opened at a temporary site in September 1954, awaiting completion of its official home, the Kuramae Kokugikan (Kuramae Sports Center). The exhibits were mainly sumo artifacts from the collection of the Museum's founding curator, Tadamasa Sakai.
Its mission is to underline the role of Sumo as the Japanese national sport through collecting and maintain artifacts as well as to support historical studies. In January 1985, it opened in larger quarters in the Ryogoku Kokugikan. Facilities include more than 150 square meters to exhibition space, a library, a study, and over 160 additional square meters of storage space for items not on display.
There are many ukiyo-e prints portraying everyday life in the town of Edo (Tokyo), and they provide a window on the lives of the women and also the children of the Edo era.
We here introduce a number of ukiyo-e prints depicting children of the time in colorful garb, as well as some pictures that Edo children would look at, touch and play with
On the Tokaido highway starting from "Edo"(old name of Tokyo)and reaching Kyoto,post towns were established at an interval of 2-3 "ri"(8km-12km) by Tokugawa "bakufu"(government).
The number of such post towns was 53 in total."Yui-no-shuku" was the 16th post town if counted from"Shinagawa-no-shuku" and the 1st post town after starting from Nihombashi.
_According to records of "Tenpo"era,there were one "Honjin"(an officially appointed inn for "Daimyo"(feudal load)) and "Waki-Honjin" (an officially appointed inn for subjects) and ordinary 32 inns.Thus,"Yui-no-shuku" was very prosperous town. "Tokaidochuu-Hizakurige"(a famous novel in those days in which characters named "Yaji-san"and "Kita-san" travel)tells us how "Yui-no-shuku" was prosperous.
_Yui-cho has many historic places that remind us of old days.The town office has repaired the old "Honjin" and established Yui Honjin Park so that town people and visitors can touch and enjoy
Ukiyo-e was born at the beginning of the Tokugawa era as a unique branch of the fine arts of common people and gradually developed.
However, during the late years of the Tokugawa and the early years of the Meiji eras, so many masterpieces streamed out to the West that it came to be said that Japanese could no longer see original Ukiyo-e paintings and prints unless we go to Europe or the United States of Amarica. The late Ota Seizo V deplored this state of affairs, and from the beginning of the Showa era he devoted himself to collecting and preserving the Ukiyo-e which form this collection of 12,000 pieces.
The Tokyo National Museum collects, houses, and displays a comprehensive collection of art works and antiquities from Japan as well as other Asian countries. The museum also conducts research and investigations concerning its collection of books, rubbings, and photographs, related to fine art, and makes these items available to scholars.
During his lifetime which began in 1760 in Honjo, Edo and ended in 1849 in Asakusa, Edo, Hokusai produced countless works of invaluable art. His exceptional talent first came to light in his late 30's with a series of bijin-ga (pictures of beautiful women) under pseudonyms of Sori and Hokusai Tokimasa. In his 40's and 50's, Hokusai's sensational innovations were reflected in his illustrations for yomihon and pictures for edehon books. His masterpiece FUGAKU SANJUROKKEI Thirty-Six Views of Mt. Fuji is a work from his 70's which gave way to a new genre of landscape prints for the art of ukiyo-e. In his later years, Hokusai began to ignore the support of publishing critics and focused his individuality through brush painting. And with the help of his friend Takai Kozan, a tycoon in Obuse, Hokusai successfully completed his most celebrated works, massive ceiling pieces.
The Kawanabe Kyosai Memorial Museum was established in 1977, based on the collection of Kyosai's drawings and paintings along with his daughter Kyosui's works. I believe the revaluation of Kyosai is sure to open up a new field in Japanese art; he has hitherto been unduly depreciated as merely eccentric by narow sighted art historians.
It was in April 1996 that the family proposed donating Aoki's art collection (centering on paintings and drawings by Utagawa Hiroshige) to the Town of Bato.While a successful entrepreneur, he also began collecting art, beginning with Hiroshige's paintings, drawings and woodblock prints.His family desired to donate his collection intact to a place that would store and display it.The Bato-machi Hiroshige Museum exhibits works with this Aoki Collection at the core.